STORY: Lost In The Woods- Part 2


I was abandoned by the flocking dove as my foot striked against the root of a tree. They sang a sad song which I hummed along till I fell asleep. The smell of the wind was like the smell of a very good rum. The last I tasted was on the raid day. I can still perceive the intoxicating smell of it some 2 days later.

 It's a very airy day and the trees are dancing in style. I call it a dance because the wind set the tone and the leaves waver.  What's the agenda for the day? Oh, it's the usual, 'Operation FIND A WAY OUT'. If only I could have access to a phone or Internet, living in the woods wouldn't be so bad. What do you do in a place like this with no one to talk to, no Internet, no shelter, no nothing.


Well! I decided to throw stones and see how far they went and what sound they made. I did that for about 3hours (Mentally, like, as in, who's counting). When I got tired of throwing stones I decided to climb trees and sang as many songs I could recall. I sang with passion till I actually believed that I was a very prominent artist and the top of the tree was my stage. The trees and bushes appeared to be my fans chanting my name as I was having the best performance of my life not until I heard a roar. Suddenly the solitude-induced madness disappeared. Did I just hear a Lion roar? I remained as quiet as a library, listening in detail to see if it will roar again. I remained like that for quite some time but I heard nothing. 'I can't remain on a tree forever'. 'I have to go down'. 'Nothing is down there.' 'Not seen any wild animal so far', 'I'm just in a friendly (domestic) forest'. I kept saying all of this to myself as I panted down the tree.

I landed softly on the ground with my ears fixed. My eyes scanning through the depths of the greenish woods. But I found nothing. I took a quick glimpse at my left and my eyes seemingly gulled upon 2 others. I took a quick peek and watched my pending fear become a reality. The reddish-brown creature looks bigger than in the movies. It's mouth dripping saliva like it's been fasting for 7days. It's teeth? Well, all I could see was my skinny self crushed between it. I couldn't run, neither could I cry for help. What is there to loose? Is life in the woods better than death? A virus I've become to the world, with drenched dreams,hope and purpose. A victim I've become to poverty, with no food, shelter, and clothing.


 The Lion moved towards my direction with its eyes not wavering from my sight. I fell on my knees with my head held high, a biblical verse I recited as my tongue was stiffened by the second. 'Save we pray the Son of David' as my eyes were shut. My heart felt like it had been plucked out as I heard a second roar.

STORY- Lost In The Woods 1
Thanks for reading, Stay tuned for Part 3.
If you enjoyed this post please kindly drop your email address on the comment section. You'll be notified once a new part is released.
POEM- Lost In The Woods 2

Comments